Drawing from a Photo: Temple of Heaven

on Friday, April 15, 2011



(This picture can be enlarged by clicking on it.)

I never had much artistic ability, although I have always admired people who could play a musical instrument or create beautiful art. So I became very intrigued when I learned how to create a line drawing from a photograph.

And I have now discovered a good use for this technique. Many of my slides are very old (like me) and don't always scan well. A slide of the Hall of Prayer for Good Harvest in the Temple of Heaven just wouldn't scan to give me an acceptable -- the colors were 'muddy' and seemed to bleed. I was disappointed.

But I then found that I could make a black-and-white line drawing (above) that actually looked pretty good.

The picture above was scanned from a slide.